Sometimes I have to wonder about the colossally bad timing and, well, just all round bad taste the Vatican in general and Pope Benedict XVI in particular seems to be showing. As the USA and much of the world was absorbing the senseless slaughter of young children at Sandy Hook, the Pope was releasing statements about how gay people are threats to world peace and justice, and now, as recently as a Christmas message last year, the pope seems to be saying in certain contexts child pornography is ok:
Pope’s child porn 'normal' claim sparks outrage among victims Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/popersquos-child-porn-normal-claim-sparks-outrage-among-victims-15035449.html#ixzz2FoqKbbaG
Now I suspect the readership here is about as diverse as any site on the internet; I know we have atheists, agnostics, Protestants, Anglicans, Roman Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Eastern Orthodox, Buddhists, Hindus... and probably an equal spread of just about every age group, sexual orientation, race, cultural background, and economic demographic you can think of. And I'll bet that by far and away most of us here would think that to rob a child of his or her innocence and to abuse them in this or any fashion is just about the most barbarous act one can think of. We wouldn't need to read books of ethical philosophy, canon law, moral philosophy, or to run and consult a holy book. Our response would be visceral, immediate, from the heart.
So I have to wonder folks, when I sit and read words like these:
"In his traditional Christmas address yesterday to cardinals and officials working in Rome, Pope Benedict XVI also claimed that child pornography was increasingly considered “normal” by society.
“In the 1970s, paedophilia was theorised as something fully in conformity with man and even with children,” the Pope said.
“It was maintained — even within the realm of Catholic theology — that there is no such thing as evil in itself or good in itself. There is only a ‘better than' and a ‘worse than'. Nothing is good or bad in itself.”
The Pope said abuse revelations in 2010 reached “an unimaginable dimension” which brought “humiliation” on the Church.
- STRANGE DEATH OF BRITISH UFO RESEARCHER IN POLAND - October 22, 2016
- MEMBERS: AFRICAN-EUROPEAN VIDCHAT OCT 21 2016 - October 21, 2016
- DID WE JUST DISCOVER TWO NEW MOONS OF URANUS? - October 21, 2016
- NEWS AND VIEWS FROM THE NEFARIUM OCT 20 2016 - October 20, 2016
- RUSSIA BANS MICROSOFT PRODUCTS AND BILL GATES - October 20, 2016
- AMAIRIKUHN EDGYKAYSHUN AND RUSSIA - October 19, 2016
- TIDBIT: OH HUZZAH! SOLUTION FOUND! JUST LET EVERYONE MAKE UP THEIR OWN ... - October 19, 2016
- WEBINAR: A FEW WORDS ABOUT HARPSICHORDS - October 18, 2016
- ARRESTS IN US OF SEX TRAFFICKING RING LEADERS - October 18, 2016
- MOSCOW BANS US SENATOR JOHN McCAIN’S NGO - October 17, 2016