You can now flag comments on Giza that violate our TOS (terms of service). If enough people flag a given comment, it'll be sent to moderation for review.
A Livable Community
The Terms of Service are available for anyone to read at the bottom of the site. They're not designed to create a pleasant community, per se, but to uphold one that is livable and sustainable. In short, we don't want the following:
- personal attacks and personally abusive remarks
- racial epithets or holocaust denial (we're not crazy)
- disparaging remarks toward homosexuals as a class
- abusive or egregious use of profanity
- useless/nonsense comments on everything just to get noticed
- excessive disparagement of nationalities, genders, or other groups
- generally obnoxious behavior
If you feel a comment clearly amounts to this - no ambiguities, not much room for interpretation, then flag it by clicking "report comment". If enough people agree, it goes to moderation and will be evaluated.
No Draconian Policies
Our goal is not to overly-restrict people's interactions or expression, but this isn't a public sidewalk and there are rules for disturbing the peace even on sidewalks. All communities have protocols, and Giza is a community in which participation is based on mutual respect, honor, and adherence to the TOS. This is the lightest form of intervention, which is a "police ourselves" model.
No Tyranny of the Majority
Don't worry; if people start flagging comments just because they disagree with them or don't like someone, we'll know. This feature is designed to limit abuse. The final decision on whether to remove a comment lies with the site owners. Nothing will get deleted solely on the basis of crowd consensus.