Remember those US warship collisions last year? First we had the USS Fitzgerald colliding off the coast of Japan with a freighter, and then the USS John McCain suffered a collision in the heavy traffic sea lanes near Singapore. Despite numerous emails from people trying to tell me that this was all due to simple incompetence, no exotic mind-manipulation or otherwise exotic jamming technology required, I stuck to my guns.
I remain unconvinced about the incompetence explanation, or rather, remained unconvinced, until today when I saw this article from Mr. F.L.M. in my inbox, and it's a stunner, regardless of which hypothesis one uses to explain it:
Here's the basic gist of the story:
Recently, a sailor on the cruiser Shiloh started to behave erratically. He claimed he had the ability to shoot fireballs from his hands and that he had traveled into outer space. Despite his obvious insanity, no action was taken. The sailor, named Peter Mims, then hid aboard his ship, and no one was able to find him for a week.
Wait a minute: no one was able to find Mims for a week? Just imagine, for a moment, the Japanese Navy or Chinese Navy or Royal Navy not being able to find a sailor on a ship. But wait, it gets much worse:
After he went missing and sparked a massive, 5,500 square-mile man overboard search across the Philippine Sea, the ship's crew continued a hopeful and fruitless search for him inside the claustrophobic catacombs of the ship's engineering spaces.
A week after he disappeared – and after his family was notified of his presumed death – a search crew found him hiding in an escape passage leading out of a sweltering engine room.
He was covered in urine and feces, and had a camelback, a multi-tool, Peeps candy[,] and an empty peanut butter jar with him.
Mims could have been apprehended prior to his discovery when another sailor spotted him in the middle of the night, days earlier. But that sailor just went back to sleep instead of sounding the alarm.
The article concludes with the following observations:
There were a number of obvious failures here.
1) Mims was never competently evaluated by his superiors. He was obviously mentally ill and derelict in duty, yet his superiors never took action.
2) A crewmember who found Mims was derelict in his duty in not apprehending him.
3) The crew proved unable or unwilling to search their own ship. They claimed they confused Mims's feces for engine oil. How can this be? It looks as though they just didn't want to search because it was too unpleasant. How would these soldiers perform in a real crisis, in combat?
4) Not mentioned above is that the cruiser's helicopter was nonoperational, which explained why Mims could not be transferred off the ship immediately. The ship's helicopter is a vital piece of equipment, especially in anti-submarine warfare, and should have been operational at all times.
What's going on with the U.S. Navy? Is it simply years of neglect under Obama or something else? What do you think?
Well, one thing I think is that if things are this incompetent, then something is wrong.
But I contend it is not with the US Navy. It's with the US academy.
And it's now reaching national security proportions. A look at colleges, high schools - indeed, a look at the whole system, top to bottom - is rotten with progressive "Bolshe-Marxist" codswallop, which begins to be imbibed the moment a "student" steps through the doors of his school, which is probably more concerned about my masculine pars pro toto use of the pronoun that it is with teaching him the essentials of standard - not politically correct or "sensitive" - English grammar, and is more concerned about the microaggressions of white patriarchy in mathematics or biology or physics, than it is with learning mathematics, biology, or physics, whose teachers spend more time in "certification" classes learning the latest boondoggle of psychoblither to come out of Columbia teachers' college or the NEA's "doctors of edubabble" than they spend learning the disciplines they are supposed to teach, and learning them to genuinely collegiate levels. And, should the occasional rebel teacher actually attempt to uphold those standards, he will be villified, persecuted, and shouted down by the butt-hurt progressive idiots - his "colleagues" - and "counseled" by his "administrators" (who earn, incidentally, far more than he ever will for producing failure after failure) and screamed at by fat ugly and thoroughly dumb, illiterate, mannerless, discourteous, and stupid students - and by ugly, I mean ugly in character and soul.
And don't think it will be confined to sailors on ships, or captains of warships who apparently cannot even maintain a rudimentary standard of discipline and performance; tomorrow it will be the doctors, lawyers, mechanics, and other technical professions that will be dumbed down as well. And we won't wake up and throw these worthless deadweights out of our schools and universities until the planes can no longer fly, or elevators come crashing down, or surgeons forget the anesthetic (or overdose their patients). Save your money, and spare your children the horrible and terrible imbecilities of an American education... educate them yourselves, because the movie Idiocracy is quickly becoming a reality.
Ok... rant over.
See you on the flip side...
- WEBINAR: A TEENY TINY TEENSY WEENSY PROBLEM AND HIGH OCTANE WHOPPER ... - August 18, 2018
- HA’ARETZ HEADLINE: “NETANYAHU: HITLER DIDN’T WANT TO ... - August 17, 2018
- NEWS AND VIEWS FROM THE NEFARIUM AUGUST 16 2018 - August 16, 2018
- TIDBIT: CHINA’S MOON LANDERS - August 16, 2018
- THAT STRANGE NEW RUSSIAN SATELLITE… - August 16, 2018
- THE STRANGENESS OF THE CALIFORNIA FIRES - August 15, 2018
- GMO SCRAPBOOK: MON(STER)SANTO TO PAY 289.2 MILLION IN LAWSUIT - August 14, 2018
- A STRANGE MISSILE LAUNCH, AND AN EVEN STRANGER COMMENT FROM ... - August 13, 2018
- MEMBERS: AFRICAN-EUROPEAN TIMEZONE VIDCHAT AUGUST 10 2018 - August 10, 2018
- THE MALAYSIA AIR 370 JUST TOOK ANOTHER VERY STRANGE TURN - August 10, 2018