HESS, APOLLO ASTRONAUTS, KETCHUP KERRY, PATRIARCHS OF MOSCOW, AND ...
Well, there's yet another Antarctica strangeness story to relate. If you're a regular reader here, you know the long (and very strange) list of people associated with, or who have actually visited, the place. For those of you who are relatively new to this website and its blogs, however, it would be helpful to have a brief review and resume of that list of people associated with the southern continent in modern times:
- Reichmarschall Hermann Goering, who among other "achievements" founded both the Gestapo and the Luftwaffe, and co-sponsored the 1938-39 Nazi expedition to that continent, along with
- Stellvertreter Rudolf Hess, "Deputy" Fuehrer of Nazi Germany,
- American Admiral Richard Byrd, who helped brief the Nazi expedition on what conditions they would encounter, and who was later chosen to lead the post-war Operation High Jump expedition to the continent in 1946-1947. We were told that the operation was necessary because the Arctic might become a theater of war, and that it was necessary to test our equipment and tactics in Arctic conditions. Yes, but we had Alaska and Canada available for that, and they were easier to reach. We even built the Alcan Road during World War Two to be able to ship supplies by road through Canada to Alaska. We did not need to send an entire flotilla to Antarctica. Initial tentative conclusion: there was some other reason for our (and the Nazis') interest in the continent. Oh.... did I mention that the planning for Admiral Byrd's expedition involved Fleet Admiral Nimitz, and more importantly, Secretary of Defense James Forrestal? So you can add
- Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz, and
- Secretary of Defense James Forrestal to the list of people strangely associated with the place. More recently this list has come to include:
- King Juan Carlos, who actually visited the place;
- Apollo 11 Astronaut Buzz Aldrin, who not only visited the place, but who had to be medically evacuated from it, after allegedly tweeting that what he had seen there was "absolutely evil", or words to that effect;
- All sorts of British royals beginning with Prince Philipp;
- Secretary of State John "ketchup" Kerry, who took time during a diplomatic junket in 2016, during the height of the presidential election, to divert to the polar continent, ostensibly to get a first-hand look at "global warming" (q.v. my frozen water pipes of Monday). The fact that this occurred during a diplomatic junket led me to speculate that perhaps the real purpose of the diversion was to conduct high level secret diplomacy, perhaps with a world leader, or perhaps with "someone else", away from prying public eyes. Or was "Ketchup" Kerry summoned there?
- Russian Orthodox Patriarch of Moscow Kirill III, who, fresh from a meeting with "Novis Ordo Roman Catholic" Pope Francis in Havana, travelled to Antarctica. Again, there was a "story" that was put out that the Patriarch of Moscow and All the Russias went there to bless the Orthodox chapel that had been built. Indeed, the Russians did build a chapel there, but basically any hierarch could have blessed it. But the Patriarch? At approximately the same time, Turkey announced that it wanted a "share" in Antarctica and would be starting its own outposts there, and there was a strange story from Saudi Arabia that they had found a "something" while excavating parts of Mecca, and that the "something" was so dangerous they contacted the infidel Patriarch of Moscow to take it and deal with it, a story that I found, and still find, to be incredible and highly unlikely, but I mention it here for completeness' sake. The blessing and consecration of the chapel done, the Patriarch then posed for some photo-ops with the penguins, and returned to balmy Moscow.
- Oh... and in case you'd forgotten, Colonel Fletcher Prouty, one time Pentagon-CIA-White House liaison officer under president John F. Kennedy, was dispatched by his boss, none other than General Ed Lansdale of Yamashita's gold-Three-tramps-in-Dallas-on-the-day-of-the-assassination fame, to accompany some dignitaries to and from Antarctica during the time period of the assassination. You'll remember Prouty from his book The Secret Team and from Donald Sutherland's portrayal of him in Oliver Stone's movie JFK.
Now, that's just the people. There has been a veritable litany of other oddities concerning the polar continent, from glaciers breaking off the ice shelf (and touted as proof of global warming), which "broken off pieces" somehow managed to be almost perfectly rectangular, as if they had been cut off, to google maps searches that allegedly showed massive fossils of "something" peeking out from under the snow, to mountains that look perfectly pyramidal, claims of Nazi era U-Boat bases, the presence of Raytheon and Lockheed-Martian on the continent...
...in short, the place is a veritable magnet of high strangeness, not the least of which are the people associated with it. (For a complete review of all my blogs on Antarctic strangeness, just type "Antarctica" into the search engine on this website).
Now you can add this to the list:
Yes you read that correctly: there is some chatter that Pope Francis (or else, some group within the Curia) wants the Pope to go to Antarctica. Francis apparently made the announcement last October:
Pope Francis, who is known as “the Pope of the peripheries,” has suggested the possibility of traveling to somewhere no pope has gone before — the South Pole.
In a new interview published on Oct. 17, the Pope said that he plans to visit his native Argentina, adding: “Somebody said that if I go to Argentina, I should stop at Rio Gallegos, then head to the South Pole, land in Melbourne, and visit New Zealand.”
“It would be a rather long journey,” he joked.
The 86-year-old Pope does not currently have any international trips on his official schedule, but he recently made a 4,000-mile journey to Mongolia and visited the French city of Marseille.
And we have the mention of the trip of Patriarch Kirill:
Pope Francis would not be the first religious leader to visit Antarctica. Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill visited an Antarctic research station — and walked with penguins — in 2016 as part of a trip to Latin America, which included a historic meeting with Pope Francis in Cuba.
I suspect that we're meant to take from this mention that if the Patriarch can do it, the Papacy should not be "one-upped" by the Orthodox, and assert its own presence there. Who knows? The article goes on to mention that there have been Catholic chapels on the continent under the jurisdiction of Argentina's military bishopric. Bottom line: whether Francis or his successor goes to Antarctica, we may reasonably expect that sooner or later a Pope will visit the place, walk with the penguins, and have his picture taken among them.
As one might expect, I have some high octane speculation to advance, and it concerns this very strange and now potentially papal list of visitors and strange people associated with the place. Even by mentioning a potential visit, Francis has now become a member of that list, at least by associating himself and the institution he occupies in connection with the place. So again: I pose the question: what could possibly explain the association of such a strange list of people with the place? Rudolf Hess? John Kerry? King Juan Carlos? Buzz Aldrin? Kirill? Goering? Francis?
No, I don't think is has anything to do with neutrinos, or any of the other things about the place. All the strange goings on there I suspect are related, or tied together, somehow, by the list of people visiting the place. I suspect that the moment it became clear that there was lots of land down there, and that the moment it became clear that the Piri Reis map showed the coastline of the continent, that a small group of people realized its significance: an entire continent, under ice, that is to say, under water. Atlantis. And I suspect that the moment this was realized, that the hunt was on for its lost technology, archives, and corroborating evidence.
But most importantly, I think the hunt was on for survivors... In short, I strongly suspect that at the core of the Antarctic high strangeness is not a "what", but a who... And Whoever It is, It is an important Who, important enough to attract the attention of Nazi Reichmarschalls, American Fleet Admirals and Secretaries of Defense and State, and of Kings, Princes, Patriarchs, and Popes...
...See you on the flip side...
Help the Community Grow
Please understand a donation is a gift and does not confer membership or license to audiobooks. To become a paid member, visit member registration.